History of the Ancient Near East and Mesopotamia- Sumer, Akkad, Babylon, Assyria, Persia
The Walker Library is comprised of about 6,000 volumes covering Bible Commentaries, Theology, History, Literature, Political Science, Economics, Sci-Fi and a handful of other topics. The Library is available for loan to the members of Redeemer Church Fort Worth.
The following books are histories of ancient Sumer, Babylon, Assyria, and Mesopotamia and the Near East in general.
(1) Ancient Mesopotamia: Portrait of a Dead Civilization, Revised Edition, by A. Leo Oppenheim. The University of Chicago Press: Chicago, ILL. 1964, 1977 (pp.445).
(2) A History of the Ancient Near East ca. 3000-323 BC, 2nd ed. By Marc Van De Mieroop. Blackwell Publishing: Oxford, UK 2007 (pp.341).
(3) Ancient Iraq by Georges Roux. Penguin Books: London, England, 1964 (pp.547).
(4) Archeology and the Old Testment by Merrill F. Unger. Zondervan: Grand Rapids, MI. 1954 (pp.339).
(5) Civilization Before Greece and Rome by HWF Saggs. Yale University Press: New Haven, CT. 1989 (pp.322).
(6) History Begins at Sumer by Samuel Noah Kramer. University of Pennsylvania Press: Philadelphia, 1956 (pp.388).
(7) Mesopotamia: The Invention of the City by Gwendolyn Leick. Penguin Books: London, England, 2007 (pp.356).
(8) Readings from the Ancient Near East by Bill T. Arnold and Bryan E. Beyer. Baker Academic: Grand Rapids, MI. 2002 (pp.240).
(9) The Ancient Orient: An Introduction to the Study of the Ancient Near East by Wolfram von Soden. William B. Eerdmans: Grand Rapids, MI. 1985, 1994 English translation (pp.263).
(10) The Babylonian Genesis by Alexander Heidel. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, Ill. 1942 (pp.166).
(11) The Cambridge Ancient History volume II Part 1 The Middle East and the Aegean Region c.1800-1380 B.C. edited by IES Edwards, CJ Gadd, NGL Hammond, and E. Sollberger. Cambridge University Press: London, England, 1973 (pp.868).
(12) The Story of Civilization, Part 1 Our Oriental Heritage by Will Durant. Simon and Schuster: New York, 1954 (pp.1047).
(13) The Sumerians by C. Leonard Wooley. WW Norton & Co: New York, 1965 (pp.198).
(14) The Sumerians: Their History, Culture, and Character by Samuel Noah Kramer. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, Ill. 1963 (pp.)
(15) The Zondervan Pictorial Bible Atlas edited by EM Blaiklock. Zondervan Publishing: Grand Rapids, MI 1969 (pp.505).
(16) History of the Persian Empire by AT Olmstead. The University of Chicago Press: Chicago, Ill. 1948 (pp. 568).
(17) Persian Fire by Tom Holland. Doubleday: New York, 2005 (pp. 418)
Books on the history of Israel will be a separate list.