Puritans & Puritanism Resources from the Walker Library
Tuesday, July 1, 2008– About a year ago Billy had shown me a website where folks posted lists of their books and carried on dialogs with others with similar reading interests. I looked at it, but decided not to go that route, but liked the basic idea. So why not do that here on my blog? Actually, one of the key areas of Mark12ministries is my library loan service. Through the years I have helped several students in the Seminary and even in college by loaning out books from my rather extensive library.
I started collecting books when I learned to read at age six, so the library thing is a part of who I am. The Walker Library numbers around 6,000 volumes with concentrations in Theology, History, Government/Economics and Literature. My library is available to members of Redeemer Church in Fort Worth. I want to thank my friend George R. who houses about half the library at his office ever since I left our previous church. George’s generosity, positive attitude and friendship are a wonderful gift from the Lord.
Every year Redeemer Church has a Reformation Celebration at the end of October-first of November. Last year Tim and Travis graciously asked me to assist in the preparations by doing some research and writing some brief biographical summaries of some of the key Reformers. That is the kind of thing that I really enjoy so I was deeply appreciative of their including me in that process. Just a couple of weeks ago we had our first planning meeting for this year’s Reformation Celebration and I have received a similar assignment- Research the Puritans and write a couple of pages on the top 10-15 Puritans. I did some work on the Puritans under Dr. David Levy at OU back in the late 1970’s and ever since they have been a favorite topic of mine.
My first steps include gathering my resources together from the various piles, stacks and boxes of books. Here is a partial list of my books on the Puritans and Puritanism:
I. Puritan Writings
1. The Existence and Attributes of God Stephen Charnock, 1682.
2. Christ Crucified Charnock, 1628-80.
3. “The Works of John Owen: vol.6 Temptation and Sin John Owen 1616-1683.
4. The Death of Death Owen.
5. The Holy Spirit John Owen.
6. A Sure Guide To Heaven Joseph Alleine, 1671.
7. All Loves Excelling John Bunyan, 1692.
8. The Pilgrim’s Progress John Bunyan, 1678.
9. The Godly Man’s Picture Thomas Watson, 1666.
10. The Lord’s Prayer Watson, 1692.
11. The Ten Commandments Watson, 1692.
12. A Body of Divinity Watson, 1692.
13. Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices Thomas Brooks, 1652.
14. The Mystery of Providence John Flavel, 1678.
15. The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment Jeremiah Burroughs, 1648.
16. The Shorter Catechism Explained from Scripture Thomas Vincent, 1647.
17. The Reformed Pastor Richard Baxter, 1656.
18. The Works of Richard Sibbes, vol.5 Richard Sibbes, 1636.
19. Human Nature in its Fourfold State Thomas Boston, 1676-1732.
20. Psalm 119, volumes 1-3 Thomas Manton, 1680.
21. The Christian Warrior Isaac Ambrose, 1660.
22. The Marrow of Theology William Ames, 1629.
23. Logic: The Right Use of Reason Isaac Watts, 1724.
24. The Reformation In Scotland John Knox, 1559-66.
25. Foxes Book of Martyrs, John Foxe, 1516-87.
26. The Puritans on Conversion Samuel Bolton, Nathaniel Vincent, and Thomas Watson.
27. The Freedom of the Will Jonathon Edwards, 1754.
28. Justification By Faith Alone, Edwards.
29. The Wrath of Almighty God, Edwards.
30. Of Plymouth Plantation William Bradford, 1647.
31. Magnalia Christi Americana volumes 1-2 Cotton Mather, 1702.
32. The Christian Philosopher Cotton Mather, 1721.
33. Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible Matthew Henry, 1662-1714.
II. Puritanism- Books About the Puritans
A Life of the Reverend Richard Baxter 1615-1691 Frederick J. Powicke, 1924.
A Little Commonwealth: Family Life in Plymouth Colony John Demos, 1970.
Cromwell Antonia Fraser, 1973.
Every Day Life in the Massachussetts Bay Colony George Francis Dow, 1935.
Grace Abounding: The Life, Books, & Influence of John Bunyan David B. Calhoun, 2005.
John Owen: The Man and his Theology Sinclair Ferguson, Graham S. Harrison, et. al. 2002
John Winthrop: America’s Forgotten Founding Father Francis J. Bremer, 2003.
Jonathon Edwards Ian Murray, 1987.
Jonathon Edwards George Marsden, 2003.
Meet the Puritans Joel Beeke and Randall Pederson, 2006.
Orthodoxy in Massachussetts Perry Miller, 1933.
Puritanism in Old and New England Alan Simpson, 1955.
Puritan Profiles William Barker, 1996.
Puritans at Play: Leisure and Recreation in Colonial New England, Bruce C. Daniels, St. Martin’s Griffen: New York, 1995 (271pp.)
Richard Sibbes: Puritanism and Calvinism in Late Elizabethan and Early Stuart England Mark E. Dever 2000
Salem Possessed: The Social Origins of Witchcraft Paul Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum, 1974.
The American Pietism of Cotton Mather Richard F. Lovelace, 1979.
The English Reformation A.G. Dickens, 1964.
The Genius of Puritanism Peter Lewis, 1977.
The Learned Doctor William Ames: Dutch Backgrounds of English and American Puritanism Keith L. Sprunger 1972.
The Life and Times of Cotton Mather Kenneth Silverman, 1984.
The Life of Rev. Richard Baxter, Chiefly Compiled from his Own Writings Richard Baxter
The Mathers: Three Generations of Puritan Intellectuals 1596-1728 Robert Middlekauff, 1971.
The New England Mind: the Seventeenth Century Perry Miller, 1939.
The New England Mind: from Colony to Province Perry Miller, 1953.
The Puritan Family Edmund S. Morgan, 1944.
The Puritan Origins of American Patriotism George McKenna 2007.
The Puritans: Their Origins and Successors, Addresses Delivered at the Puritan and Westminster Conferences 1959-1978 D.M.Lloyd-Jones, 1987.
The Reformation in England, vol.two J.H.Merle d’Aubigne, 1878.
The Worship of the American Puritans Horton Davies, 1990.
The Worship of the English Puritans Horton Davies, 1948.
Tudor Puritanism M.M. Knappen, 1939.
Visible Saints: the History of a Puritan Idea Edmund S. Morgan, 1963.
Who Are The Puritans? and what do they teach? Erroll Hulse, 2000.
Worldly Saints Leland Ryken, 1986.